Most Active Stories
- We raised $281,000 during our Spring Drive!!
- Eugene Withdraws Rest-Stop Near Science Factory
- Edgewood Elementary in Eugene is State Champion in Oregon Battle of the Books
- Florence STEP Part 1: Fish Conservation Organization Regroups After Hatchery Loss
- Florence STEP Part 2: Conservation Group Expands Education Program In Response To Coho Loss
Mon October 7, 2013
3 Wash. Soldiers Jailed Following Stabbing Death
Three Washington-based soldiers are in jail after the stabbing death of a fellow soldier over the weekend. The arrests came after the person who allegedly wielded the knife sought medical treatment for a cut to his hand.
Police say the murder happened off base following an exchange of words between two groups of Joint Base Lewis-McChord servicemen. A roadside confrontation seemed to end peacefully once everyone realized they were fellow soldiers.
But Lt. Chris Lawler with Lakewood Police said that as the groups were about to go their separate ways, one of the soldiers wrapped his arms around the man who was killed. "What looked like a bear hug, and stabbed this victim," Lawler said.
Lawler said the motive is unclear – although race does not appear to be a factor as police originally suspected.
The man accused of the murder joined the military this year and has not deployed. Police jailed two other soldiers who were there.
The victim has been identified as Spc. Tevin Geike of Summerville, S.C. He was assigned to a combat aviation brigade.