Most Active Stories
- We raised $281,000 during our Spring Drive!!
- Eugene Withdraws Rest-Stop Near Science Factory
- Edgewood Elementary in Eugene is State Champion in Oregon Battle of the Books
- Florence STEP Part 2: Conservation Group Expands Education Program In Response To Coho Loss
- Anonymous Donor Gives $400,000 for Homeless Camp in Eugene
State of the Union
Wed January 29, 2014
DeFazio Responds To President's State of The Union
4th District Congressman Peter DeFazio praised President Obama for his focus on the need for jobs in his state of the union address. The Springfield Democrat agrees these jobs can come from investments in transportation infrastructure. And, DeFazio says Oregonians who are unemployed need their extended benefits.
Peter DeFazio: "I agree that it’s time for Congress to renew unemployment insurance for Oregonians and Americans who want to work but can't find a job. There are 5 unemployed Oregonians chasing every job in our state."
DeFazio applauded the president's call for action on climate change. But he reiterated his opposition to the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a pending trade deal that DeFazio says would be another blow to the middle class.
Eugene Mayor Kitty Piercy attended the President's State of the Union. She's in Washington D.C. with other representatives from Lane County meeting with lawmakers to promote regional priorities. Piercy was a guest of Representative DeFazio at the Capitol.
Politics & Government