Disasters & Accidents
Thu July 3, 2014
Firefighter Injured Battling Blaze That Destroyed Historic Crab Pot Restaurant in Lincoln City
One firefighter was injured while battling a blaze that completely destroyed the historic Crab Pot Restaurant in Lincoln City Thursday.
Just before 3 p.m. Thursday, the restaurant called 911 to say their crab pot smoker caught fire and the blaze was spreading to the rest of their shop.
The fire started in the rear of the restaurant. There were explosions that may have been caused by propane tanks.
Part of Highway 101 was shut down for about two hours as thick smoke poured from the building. Live wires were reported to be falling. Pacific Power was called in to shut down the electricity.
Traffic along the highway began backing up as onlookers stopped to snap photos and watch firefighters battle the blaze.
A firefighter was taken to hospital with minor injuries. Damages are estimated at more than $100,000. The Crab Pot building was built in 1929. It sold fish before opening as a restaurant.