Most Active Stories
- We raised $281,000 during our Spring Drive!!
- Eugene Withdraws Rest-Stop Near Science Factory
- Edgewood Elementary in Eugene is State Champion in Oregon Battle of the Books
- Anonymous Donor Gives $400,000 for Homeless Camp in Eugene
- Florence STEP Part 2: Conservation Group Expands Education Program In Response To Coho Loss
Tue November 19, 2013
Housing Opportunities For Veterans Expand In Eugene
Affordable housing options are expanding for veterans in Eugene. The Veterans’ Housing Project just purchased their sixth rental house, thanks to a major donation.
A single family home in the River Road area will soon be available for rent by local vets returning from overseas deployment. The Veterans’ Housing Project was able to purchase the property thanks to a $75,000 donation from Northwest Community Credit Union.
But the house is a fixer, according to Project Chair Jon Ruiz.
Ruiz: “It needs some work, which is part of what we want because then it allows the community to get involved in a variety of ways. It’s a home in a neighborhood that as we rehab the house, it will continue to add viability.”
Ruiz says in a few months, it should be move-in ready. The idea is to give low-income veterans and their families a low-rent situation and time and time to get their finances in order to transition into permanent housing.
veteran's day parade