Most Active Stories
- We raised $281,000 during our Spring Drive!!
- Eugene Withdraws Rest-Stop Near Science Factory
- Edgewood Elementary in Eugene is State Champion in Oregon Battle of the Books
- Florence STEP Part 1: Fish Conservation Organization Regroups After Hatchery Loss
- Florence STEP Part 2: Conservation Group Expands Education Program In Response To Coho Loss
Wed December 4, 2013
Last Day To Sign Up For Cover Oregon Is December 4th.
The last day to sign up with Cover Oregon to get health insurance coverage on January 1st is today (December 4th). And because the website still isn't processing applications online, that means paper applications need to be faxed or postmarked no later than today.
Cover Oregon can't guarantee applications that are incomplete or submitted after December 4th will be processed in time for coverage beginning in January 1st. Applicants who enroll later this month and beyond will probably obtain coverage starting in February or March. The insurance industry is relying on young, healthy people to enroll to keep rates affordable. Cover Oregon Spokesman Michael Cox says they haven't been able to do a detailed analysis of who has signed up yet.
Cox- "I will say that we've always expected the younger, healthier population to come in closer to that March 31st deadline. The idea being that perhaps they aren't as motivated to get coverage on January 1st but still want health coverage. And so we expect to see a big spike that last month."
Open enrollment continues until March 31st, to avoid a tax penalty. Cox says Cover Oregon has received more than 50,000 applications so far.
copyright, 2013 KLCC