Most Active Stories
- We raised $281,000 during our Spring Drive!!
- Eugene Withdraws Rest-Stop Near Science Factory
- Florence STEP Part 1: Fish Conservation Organization Regroups After Hatchery Loss
- Florence STEP Part 2: Conservation Group Expands Education Program In Response To Coho Loss
- Signal 'Just Like' Emergency Beacon Detected In Search For Flight 370
Thu November 14, 2013
Okkervil River On World Cafe
Originally published on Fri March 28, 2014 1:26 pm
Today's Vintage Cafe is a studio performance from the Austin band Okkervil River. The music performed here, from 2013's The Silver Gymnasium, pays homage to singer Will Sheff's life as a boy in Meriden, N.H., during the late '80s.
The musicians are familiar with concept albums; 2005's Black Sheep Boy, for example, was inspired by the Tim Hardin song of the same name. The band received huge acclaim upon releasing thematically interwoven records (The Stage Names and The Stand Ins) in 2007 and 2008.
Along with a live three-song set, listeners will also hear Sheff talk extensively about his childhood and the coming-of-age moments that inspired The Silver Gymnasium.