Most Active Stories
- We raised $281,000 during our Spring Drive!!
- Eugene Withdraws Rest-Stop Near Science Factory
- Florence STEP Part 1: Fish Conservation Organization Regroups After Hatchery Loss
- Edgewood Elementary in Eugene is State Champion in Oregon Battle of the Books
- Florence STEP Part 2: Conservation Group Expands Education Program In Response To Coho Loss
Fri November 8, 2013
Three Names Will Be Added To Oregon's Memorial For Veterans
For those enjoying a 3-day weekend, the day off is to remember and honor those men and women who've served in the military. In Oregon, the day will be marked with a solemn ceremony in Salem.
Twice a year on Memorial Day and Veterans Day, the names of the fallen are added to the Afghan-Iraqi Freedom Memorial Wall. It's located on the grounds of the Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs. Mike Allegre says they will be adding three new names to the wall.
Allegre: "Army Specialist Brandon J. Prescott, who was in Bend. U.S. Army Specialist Nicholas S. Welch out of Mill City, Oregon and then a guy who lived in Aurora for a little while, U.S. Navy Chief Warrant Officer III Jonathon S. Gibson."
The names of more than 140 Oregon men and women that are inscribed on the memorial wall will be read aloud during Monday's ceremony. Family and friends can make a rubbing of a loved one's name. The Oregon National Guard will present military honors at the ceremony. It begins at 2 p.m.