UO Bans Basketball Players Accused of Sexual Assault

Jun 24, 2014

The University of Oregon has found three former basketball players responsible for sexual misconduct and banned them from campus for 4 to 10 years.

Credit Jes Burns

Attorney John Clune represents the young woman, a U of O student who accused Damyean Dotson, Dominic Artis and Brandon Austin of sexually assaulting her repeatedly at parties following a basketball game in March.  Clune says his client is relieved to hear the players won't be coming back to the U of O while she's there.

Clune: "So just being able to know that she's going to keep going to school and doesn’t have to worry about any sort of interaction with them is a huge relief."

Clune says his client is not satisfied with the answers the University has given so far.

Clune: "She wants a much more candid dialogue about some of the issues, about how one of the athletes ended up at the University and how they responded."

Brandon Austin transferred to the U of O from Providence College, where he'd been investigated for sexual assault. The Lane County District Attorney declined to bring charges against the three players, citing a lack of evidence.