Most Active Stories
- We raised $281,000 during our Spring Drive!!
- Eugene Withdraws Rest-Stop Near Science Factory
- Edgewood Elementary in Eugene is State Champion in Oregon Battle of the Books
- Florence STEP Part 2: Conservation Group Expands Education Program In Response To Coho Loss
- Anonymous Donor Gives $400,000 for Homeless Camp in Eugene
Liquid Beat is dedicated to the preservation and cultivation of real Hip-Hop music and culture.
Liquid Beat Radio has been trusted in Hip-Hop since 1994 when former hosts Ollie, Miguel, Brian P., John J, Brent the Busdriver, and Charlee Chaz started taking over every other weekend for longtime host of Black Is, Greg Black.
Being that this group of youngsters were still in high school at the time, it wasn't too long before they graduated, upgraded, and moved on to other things and places. In 1997, they handed the show over to their friend, and Liquid Beat's "biggest fan," Matt Nelkin. From 1997 to 2003 Matt Nelkin held it down before taking a brief haitus from the show while he got his Masters degree in teaching in Portland. From 2003 to 2005 the show was hosted and DJ'd by Hannif Wonder (Sound Proof and Animal Farm Fame). Matt Nelkin came back to host the show again in Jan, 2005 although this time around it is prerecorded in his Portland home and sent down to KLCC for broadcasting.
After he started DJing for KLCC, Matt brought Liquid Beat to the Portland airwaves, finding a second home on Portland State University's radio station KPSU 1450 AM on Tuesday nights from 7-8 pm.
Liquid Beat on Twitter @theliquidbeat